Area: 8,837 square kilometers (3,412 square miles)
Administrative Division: 2 district (Kecheng, Qujiang); 3 counties (Changshan, Kaihua, Longyou); 1 county-level city (Jiangshan)
Useful Telephone Numbers:
Tourist Consultant: 0570-96118
Consumer Complaints: 0570-96315
Traffic Accident: 0570-3026691
City Bus Inquiry: 0570-3041234
Location: Quzhou is situated in the west of Zhejiang Province, lying in the upper reaches of Qiantang River. As the connection point of four provinces, Quzhou is neighbor to Nanping in Fujian Province, Jingdezhen in Jiangxi Province, Huangshan in Anhui Province and the provincial city Hangzhou and Jinhua.
History: Quzhou belonged to the Yue State before and in the Spring and Autumn Period (770BC-476). In the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220), the government set up Xin'an Shire, which was the original form of Quzhou. In 1949, Quzhou was liberated and it became a prefecture-level city in 1985. In 1994, the city got its honor of 'National-level Historical and Cultural City' and in 2006, it was listed into one of the 'China Top Tourist City'.
Physical Features: Mountains in the south and north form a basin in the middle, which is high in the west and low in the east. Mountains and hills occupy about 85% of the whole area, leaving the 15% plains and basins.
Climatic Features: Quzhou enjoys a subtropical monsoon climate with distinctive four seasons. Spring and summer are abundant in rain and sunshine. Late summer is when typhoon frequently happens. Autumn is cool and pleasant without too much rain. Winter is cold and snowy.
When to Go: Best time to visit Quzhou is spring or late autumn. Every March in Chinese lunar calendar, the locals hold various temple fairs which are full of traditional flavors. In October, Quzhou Tourism Cultural Festival is held when interesting activities such as rock climbing, Confucianism culture tour and the Go Game culture tour attract millions of tourists.
Local Highlights: Over 1,800-year-history endows Quzhou many historical and cultural heritages. Nanzong Confucius Temple is a rare Confucius architecture in China. Situated in the upper reaches of Qiantang River, Quzhou has quite good environment, hence its name 'Green Source of Zhejiang'. Mountains, stone forests, karst caves and many forest parks provide an ideal holiday resort for visitors.
Special Local Products: Handicrafts: Yingbai Porcelain (white porcelain)
Foods: oranges, Shaoyongfeng cake, Jiangshengji salty peanut, Dajuyuan dried bamboo shoot
Historical and Cultural Spots: Nanzong Confucius Temple, Ershibadu Ancient Town, Quzhou Ancient City, Xiashan Ancient Residence, Xianxia Pass
Jindingzi National Geographic Park, Longyou Karst Cave, Mt. Jianglang, Mt. Lanke Scenic Area, Nine Dragon Lake, Bamboo Sea of Longyou County
Tourist Tips: Quzhou is the connection city of Fujian, Jiangxi, Anhui and Zhejiang provinces. It has been playing important role in China's transportation since the ancient times. Quzhou Airport (JUZ) is located in the east suburban area of the city. It has directly flights to Xiamen, Anqing, Wuhan, Guangzhou and Beijing. Zhegan Railway (Zhejing to Jiangxi) go across the city, extending to Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, Xiamen, Nanchang, Wuhan, Guangzhou, Nanning, Chongqing, Kunming and many other provincial cities. Quzhou Long Distance Bus Station has scheduled buses to many important cities both in Zhejiang and other provinces. Tourist spots in the urban city can be reached by city bus.